Tuesday, October 22, 2013

More investigation writings from "The Book Club Murders"

Beth's hand wasn't out of her coat pocket to knock, when the door opened and Meghan Stroutmeier greeted them.  They stated who they were and what they did, and then asked if Meghan would answer questions about Laura Walter's murder last night.  The 72 year old widow of Arnold Stroutmeier told them she would help out as much as she could and invited them in to her living room, leading them to a beautiful leather sofa, which felt much too cool to the touch when they sat on it.
"Would you like some coffee or tea before we begin," Meghan asked.  "I don't get very many visitors so I'd love to make you some."  Damien started to decline, but Beth interrupted him.
"Coffee would be great.  Just black would be fine with me."
Meghan looked inquiringly at Damien who nodded his head yes and told her black with cream and sugar if she had it.
"Of course I have it; that's the way I drink it," she said pleasantly.  "You're a brave girl for taking it straight, ah, I'm sorry, what was your name again?"
"Beth Reddy and this is Damien George."
"Oh yes, that's right.  I have never done a good job of listening to names.  I should have remembered yours though, sir.  It's unusual to have two first names like that."  Damien shrugged as if to say, what can I do?
In a couple of minutes Mrs. Stroutmeir returned with three cups of coffee perched on a metal tray that looked as if it came from a nursing home.  She first served Beth and Damien, then herself, returning to a wooden rocking chair opposite the visitors.  After a little chit chat regarding background information that Mrs. Stroutmeir requested from them, Beth questioned her about the murder last night.
"So, please tell us what you know, if anything, about what happened last night."
"I can only tell you what I told the policemen last night, and then the sheriff who came this morning.  It's not much.  First of all, I have to tell you that I'm a bit of a night owl because I have trouble sleeping at night.  I watch a lot of TV, specifically HGTV.  I love that show Love It or List It.  Last night they were following an older hippie couple from Greenwich Village who told the designer...I can't remember her name...Oh, Jillian.  She used to be on the Bachelor show.  She's from Canada, you know.  She has a cute little accent, hey."  She waited for a reaction that didn't come.  "Well, anyway, I digress.  Last night I was watching that show and I guess it was around 10:30 when I got a little restless and started walking around the house.  I do that sometimes at night.  I happened to look outside, as I often do, and I saw what I thought was a person laying on the sidewalk.  I thought to myself that it's awfully cold to be out there...maybe the person slipped and knocked themselves out, so I put my coat and boots on to go help.  That's when I found out it was Laura.  I saw all the blood on the snow, and her head, her head was a mess, all caved in like that.  I, I didn't know what to do.  She was obviously dead, so I rushed back into the house, taking care not to slip on the ice, and call the police.  I did that and not long after, the police came with their lights flashing and knocked on my door.  Oh I tell you I didn't get much sleep last night at all.  Poor Laura.  I didn't think she had slipped and fallen.  There was too much blood and her skull wouldn't get crushed like that from just a fall.  I knew she was murdered right away.  I tell you I've lived here for forty-six years and there's never been a killing in this town, never."  She stopped talking and just stared at the two of them.
Knowing the answer, already, Damien asked it anyway, "And you didn't see anybody around who might have done this?"
"Not a soul," she said forcefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment