Monday, March 24, 2014

Writers conference

I attended the 11th annual Writers Festival and Book Fair on Saturday, March 22, 2014 in Bloomington, Minnesota.  It was a great experience that lead off with Nancy Carlson as the keynote speaker.  Nancy has been a very successful publisher of children's books and is well known across the  U.S.
I attended the following sessions:

The Creative Process
Every good story contains a mystery
Short and Sweet: Learning to write succinctly
How to work with Editors, agents, publishers, and booksellers.

In addition to the sessions, exhibitors were pitching books, publishing outlets, copy editing, etc.

Every one of the sessions I attended was professionally presented, entertaining, and filled with excellent tips.  The presenters were available for questioning afterwards and very willing to help answer any questions we had.

As a side note, I bought a book from two, older gentlemen who had taught at Robbinsdale, Minnesota.  They are twins who grew up in a tenement flat in Yorkville on Manhattan's ethnic Upper East Side in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's.  They later moved to Minnesota and taught grades K-University for a combined 64 years and earned doctorate degrees.
The title of the book, Yorkville Twins, caught my eye immediately because I am the father of identical twin sons, soon to be 38 years old.  While chatting with them, we compared notes of the trials and tribulations of twins and the often love/hate relationship that exists.  They're  a couple of great guys, and after I'm through reading their book I'll give it to my twins to read.

It was worth the cost of attending ($79) and very easy to find, just off 35W at the Bloomington Theatre and Art Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment